Dikshit criticises BJP for demanding Speaker`s res
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today attacked the BJP for seeking the resignation of Assembly Speaker Yoganand Shastri in the wake of "serious remarks" made against him by the Lokayukta in a case of alleged corruption even as the complaint was forwarded to the anti-graft body by Delhi Government.
In a statement in the Assembly, Dikshit said the BJP members have shown "great disrespect" to the Speaker by demanding his resignation on the basis of an "unverified report".
Leader of Opposition in the Assembly V K Malhotra, in a letter to Lt Governor Tejendra Khanna yesterday, had sought resignation of the Speaker citing the Lokayukta`s observation against him in a complaint of alleged corruption and misuse of public funds.
The complaint against Shastri has been filed by former Secretary of Delhi Legislative Assembly Siddharth Rao in which he made allegations of corruption and misuse of public funds and amenities to the tune of several crores of rupees.
Shastri vehemently rejected all the allegations and claimed that Rao was trying to "blackmail" him.
Lokayukta Justice Manmohan Sarin, in an order on Monday, had dismissed the
complaint against the Speaker for "want of jurisdiction" but brought it to the notice of the Lt Governor for "action as deemed fit" while terming the allegations as of "serious nature".
As per the Lokayukta order, the complaint was forwarded to the anti-graft watchdog by Additional Secretary (Vigilance) of Delhi Government.
Rejecting Dikshit`s criticism, Malhotra said if there was no substance in the complaint then why had the city government forwarded it to the Lokayukta. He said BJP will move a no confidence motion against the Speaker tomorrow.
"The complaint was forwarded to Lokayukta by the Delhi Government. If there was no substance in it then why the government had sent it to the Lokayukta?" Malhotra asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof