Dikshit deposits Rs 5,000 as costs in court, skips appearance
New Delhi: Former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday deposited in a Delhi court Rs 5,000 as costs imposed on her for non-appearance in a defamation case lodged by her against BJP leader Vijender Gupta.
Dikshit, who was earlier directed by the court to remain present before it without any excuse, did not turn up before Metropolitan Magistrate Neha and sought a day`s exemption from personal appearance.
Dikshit application was opposed by Gupta with his counsel asking the court to impose more costs on her.
However, the judge said "today is the first day... And she has received the file by way of transfer. So no cost will be imposed".
The judge said that the amount imposed on her has already been paid through her proxy counsel. To which, Gupta also an ex-president of BJP`s Delhi unit, said he does not want to keep the money.
"I am giving this money to my party workers, so that they can buy blankets for poor people, dying due to cold," Gupta said, adding that it will be done today itself.
The court, however, allowed Dikshit`s application for exemption from personal appearance for today only and listed the matter for "pre charge evidence" on July 2.
The court on August 6, 2013 framed criminal defamation charges against Gupta in the complaint filed by Dikshit.
Dikshit had filed a complaint against Gupta alleging that the BJP leader had used "uncivilised" language against her in the run up to the MCD polls in 2012 while accusing her of helping and conniving with power companies.
Dikshit, who is the complainant in the case, was earlier directed to appear without failing before the court, for her examination and cross examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj