Dikshit deposits Rs 5,000 as costs in court, skips appearance
New Delhi: Former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday deposited in a Delhi court Rs 5,000 as costs imposed on her for non-appearance in a defamation case lodged by her against BJP leader Vijender Gupta.
Dikshit, who was earlier directed by the court to remain present before it without any excuse, did not turn up before Metropolitan Magistrate Neha and sought a day`s exemption from personal appearance.
Dikshit application was opposed by Gupta with his counsel asking the court to impose more costs on her.
However, the judge said "today is the first day... And she has received the file by way of transfer. So no cost will be imposed".
The judge said that the amount imposed on her has already been paid through her proxy counsel. To which, Gupta also an ex-president of BJP`s Delhi unit, said he does not want to keep the money.
"I am giving this money to my party workers, so that they can buy blankets for poor people, dying due to cold," Gupta said, adding that it will be done today itself.
The court, however, allowed Dikshit`s application for exemption from personal appearance for today only and listed the matter for "pre charge evidence" on July 2.
The court on August 6, 2013 framed criminal defamation charges against Gupta in the complaint filed by Dikshit.
Dikshit had filed a complaint against Gupta alleging that the BJP leader had used "uncivilised" language against her in the run up to the MCD polls in 2012 while accusing her of helping and conniving with power companies.
Dikshit, who is the complainant in the case, was earlier directed to appear without failing before the court, for her examination and cross examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch