Dikshit, DJB officers issued notice on water meter
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Monday issued notice to Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, the Delhi Jal Board chief executive officer and two members for their alleged failure to frame rules on installation fee and maintenance charges for water meters, to be paid by consumers.
Seeking response from Dikshit, who is the chairperson of the DJB, and board`s CEO Debashree Mukherjee, Justice Vipin Sanghi also issued notices to board member (finance) Prashant Goel and member (water) Brij Mohan Dhol and asked them to file their responses by Nov 9 on the plea of the Indian Water Meter Manufacturers against the board for contempt of court.
Filing the contempt petition, the association said that the single bench on Jan 25 had directed the DJB to frame rules relating to installation fee and rent to be paid for use, maintenance and testing of water meters but no rules have been framed so far.
The petition said: "Initiate contempt proceedings against contemnors for deliberate and intentional breach of the judgment dated January 25 and punish them in accordance with the provisions of the Contempt of Courts Act."
Earlier, the single bench court had asked the DJB to place before it the rules and regulations and in case the DJB has not made the rules, to frame these in eight weeks` time and inform the court.
The court was hearing the water meter manufacturers` plea that the court had earlier allowed consumers to purchase water meters from the open market but the DJB had no comprehensive guidelines relating to usage and installation of these.
Seeking that the DJB clarify the rules for installation, usage and maintenance charges to be levied by it on customers, the petition has said: "In a PIL filed by the Residents Welfare Association (RWA) of Rajinder Nagar, the division bench had allowed the consumers to purchase water meters for installation from the open market and asked the DJB to frame comprehensive guidelines relating to usage and installation fee..."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!