Dikshit justifies govt spending in assembly poll campaign
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila
Dikshit has rejected allegations of misuse of public funds
during last year`s assembly polls in the national capital as
alleged by the BJP.
Responding to a notice issued by Lokayukta justice
Manmohan Sarin, Dikshit said there was nothing wrong in
spending government funds on advertisement before the
elections last year to highlight the achievements of her
The Lokayukta had issued a notice to Dikshit after
BJP leader and former chairman of MCD`s Standing Committee
Vijender Kumar Gupta filed a petition with it accusing the
chief minister of "splurging public and government fund for
her advertisement campaign to win the elections last year."
Gupta today claimed that Dikshit, in her reply, has
admitted that the Delhi Government has "spent five times more
funds" from its coffers during the election year.
He claimed that Dikshit, in her reply, has said there
was nothing wrong in affixing photographs of Sonia Gandhi in
the government advertisement.
She also said the Lokayukata has no authority to raise
any question in this regard, Gupta claimed.
To corroborate his allegations, Gupta had also placed
on record an article penned by the then director Information
and Publicity Udaya Sahay, which detailed the "meticulous
campaign strategy by Dikshit to overcome the anti-incumbency
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray