Dikshit, Khurana reach settlement in defamation case
New Delhi: After a six-year legal battle,
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and BJP leader Madan Lal Khurana
Monday finally buried the hatchet before the Delhi High Court
after reaching a settlement in a defamation case.
Khurana, who challenged the single judge`s order
directing him to lead the evidence first in the defamatory
suit initiated by Dikshit, withdrew his petition from the High
The counsel for both the leaders appeared before the
Bench comprising Justices Vikramjit Sen and A K Pathak and
informed that the parties have reached a settlement as the
case is pending for past several years and no purpose would be
served if the litigation is stretched further.
Following the submission, the court directed that the
suit which is pending before a single judge be withdrawn by
The case had been lingering in the court since
September 2003 when Dikshit slapped defamation charges against
Khurana and sought a "symbolic" sum of Rs 101 as damages.
Dikshit had filed the suit after Khurana`s allegation
that she had received Rs 15 crore from private power companies
for the Delhi Assembly election campaign in return for the
release of central funds.
During a press conference in September 2003, Khurana
had accused Dikshit government of wrongly sanctioning Rs 105
crore out of a Central grant of Rs 500 crore meant to improve
the power situation in the national capital.
He had written to the then deputy prime minister L K
Advani for an independent inquiry into the matter.
The judge, who heard the defamation case in the High
Court, had directed Khurana to produce evidence first to
justify his allegations.
Khurana challenged the judicial decision before a
Division Bench, which had suggested in August last year that
both the leaders settle the matter out of court and appointed
senior advocate J P Sengh as mediator.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...