Dikshit launches plantation drive on Yamuna bank
New Delhi: Delhi Government plans to carry out plantation of over one million saplings in the city like last year with an aim to further increase the green cover in the national capital.
As part of the initiative, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today launched a plantation drive at Yamuna Bank near Delhi Secretariat.
Speaking on the occasion, Dikshit exhorted citizens to plant saplings in the city in the current monsoon season and take affectionate care to ensure their survival.
"The city government has developed 41 city forests to provide safe abode to vanishing birds. The trees and forests have been playing a significant role in mitigating the effects of climate change and global warming," Dikshit said.
She said plantation on the bank of river Yamuna is being carried out to protect erosion of the river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued