Dikshit launches plantation drive on Yamuna bank
New Delhi: Delhi Government plans to carry out plantation of over one million saplings in the city like last year with an aim to further increase the green cover in the national capital.
As part of the initiative, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today launched a plantation drive at Yamuna Bank near Delhi Secretariat.
Speaking on the occasion, Dikshit exhorted citizens to plant saplings in the city in the current monsoon season and take affectionate care to ensure their survival.
"The city government has developed 41 city forests to provide safe abode to vanishing birds. The trees and forests have been playing a significant role in mitigating the effects of climate change and global warming," Dikshit said.
She said plantation on the bank of river Yamuna is being carried out to protect erosion of the river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?