Dikshit launches plantation drive on Yamuna bank
New Delhi: Delhi Government plans to carry out plantation of over one million saplings in the city like last year with an aim to further increase the green cover in the national capital.
As part of the initiative, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today launched a plantation drive at Yamuna Bank near Delhi Secretariat.
Speaking on the occasion, Dikshit exhorted citizens to plant saplings in the city in the current monsoon season and take affectionate care to ensure their survival.
"The city government has developed 41 city forests to provide safe abode to vanishing birds. The trees and forests have been playing a significant role in mitigating the effects of climate change and global warming," Dikshit said.
She said plantation on the bank of river Yamuna is being carried out to protect erosion of the river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Freedom 251: Will Ringing Bells ever deliver the Rs 251 smartphone?
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 606—Tanushree's plan to denigrate Pragya ends with a facepalm
- India, Congo's friendly relation to strengthen further: President
- Delhi: Dance instructor commits suicide after strangling suspected lover
- It was a joke: Irrfan on 'Kabali' poster comment