Dikshit launches plantation drive on Yamuna bank
New Delhi: Delhi Government plans to carry out plantation of over one million saplings in the city like last year with an aim to further increase the green cover in the national capital.
As part of the initiative, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today launched a plantation drive at Yamuna Bank near Delhi Secretariat.
Speaking on the occasion, Dikshit exhorted citizens to plant saplings in the city in the current monsoon season and take affectionate care to ensure their survival.
"The city government has developed 41 city forests to provide safe abode to vanishing birds. The trees and forests have been playing a significant role in mitigating the effects of climate change and global warming," Dikshit said.
She said plantation on the bank of river Yamuna is being carried out to protect erosion of the river.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of IS video proving the authenticity of Batla House encounter
- DNA: Analysis of how adulterated food is putting people's lives at risk
- DNA: How Potassium Bromate and Potassium Iodate in breads can cause cancer
- IPL 2016: AB de Villiers, Iqbal Abdullah take RCB into final with stunning win over GL in Qualifier 1
- Must Read: These are Apple CEO Tim Cook's plans for India!
- NEET Ordinances get President's assent, decks cleared for UG medical admissions by states
- Subhash Chandra steps down as chairman of Zee Media
- DNA samples taken as searchers hunt for EgyptAir plane