Dikshit launches scheme to facilitate bank service
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday launched a unique scheme to facilitate banking services to the under-privilege section including direct transfer of cash subsidy into the bank accounts of beneficiaries of a number of welfare schemes.
Under the scheme, citizens will be able to open `Saral Money` bank account in five leading banks by producing their Aadhaar numbers.
The scheme, launched in collaboration with UIDAI, Visa Card and five banks -- Axis, HDFC, ICICI, SBI and Indian Overseas Bank, is aimed facilitating banking services to the under-privileged section.
The Visa payment settlement-based Saral Money account would enable a customer to make purchases, send money or receive government disbursements at the existing ATMs, point of sale terminals and proposed micro ATMs.
Dikshit last month had sought Finance Minister P Chidambaram`s help to facilitate direct transfer of cash subsidies and other financial assistance to 30 lakh beneficiaries of various central and Delhi government schemes for curbing leakages, diversion and corruption.
Initially, the Saral Money scheme will be implemented in parts of New Delhi and National Capital Region.
"Saral Money ensures that everyone with an Aadhar number automatically has an Aadhar linked instant account in a bank," Dikshit said, adding that the new product would bring banking right at the door step of the poor.
The Aaadhar number holder can also purchase a "card" for a nominal fee to access various ATMs, officials said.
"The product would also bring a positive change in financial scenario in the country," the Chief Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry