Dikshit misleading people on power tariff issue: BJP
New Delhi: The war of words between Congress and BJP on the power tariff issue escalated today with the Opposition accusing Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit of "misleading" people by claiming that electricity rates in the national capital were the lowest in the country.
Slamming Dikshit over her statements, Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel said the power tariff in Andhra Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh was much lower than what it was in Delhi.
"The Chief Minister is misleading the people of Delhi by making false claims. Power tariff in states like Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra and Haryana is much lower as compared to Delhi. Cities like Chandigarh and Dehradun, too, have lower power tariffs," Goel said.
Ridiculing BJP`s promise of slashing power tariffs by 30 per cent if it came to power, Dikshit had last week said that the rates in Delhi were the "lowest" in the country.
She had added that BJP would cut tariff by 30 per cent by curtailing the supply.
BJP has been attacking Dikshit on the power tariff issue upon allegations that her government has been allowing private power distribution companies to exploit citizens by charging high electricity rates.
"Delhi government has been colluding with discoms to fleece the people of Delhi. The Congress government has allowed a hike of over 72 per cent in power tariff in the last couple of years and a more than 300 per cent hike in rates over the last 10 years," said Goel.
The power tariff in the city was hiked by 22 per cent in 2011 followed by a 5 per cent increase in February last year.
The tariff was hiked by up to 2 per cent in May last year and again by 26 per cent for domestic consumers in July 2012.
The tariff was hiked again by up to 3 per cent in February of this year and again by 5 per cent in July. Following the 5 per cent hike in tariff by Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC), Delhi government had announced a subsidy for those limiting their monthly consumption to 400 units.
Alleging collusion between her government and the discoms, the BJP leader also asked Dikshit as to why her government had restrained DERC in May 2010 from announcing a cut in tariff by almost 25 per cent.
"The Chief Minister exposed herself in 2010 when her government arbitrarily stopped DERC from reducing power tariffs by nearly 25 per cent. This clearly established the hand-in-glove nature of understanding between the discoms and the Congress government," he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor