Dikshit provides Aaadhar identification nos to the homeless
New Delhi: The national capital on Saturday moved a
step forward in providing identification cards as well as
Aadhaar Identification Numbers to the homeless in the city.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit distributed "beghar" cards
and provisional Unique Identification Numbers to the homeless
in the city on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
At a function jointly organised by Mission Convergence
of Delhi Government and Unique Identification Authority of
India (UIDAI), Dikshit handed over provisional Aadhar cards to
40 poor persons and "beghar" cards to 100 homeless persons at
a night shelter in Nizamuddin area.
The initiative came just two days after Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh along with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
presented "Aadhaar" Identification Numbers to a few tribals in
a village in Maharashtra.
Biometric-based data including fingerprints and an iris
scan is being used for the first time anywhere in the world to
provide a cost-effective nationally valid and verifiable
single source of identity proof through an authentification
Dikshit said provisional Unique Identification Numbers
will be provided to "beghar cardholders" in next 2-3 weeks.
In order to spread awareness on the enrolment drive, a
street play was also presented by a group of disabled and
homeless persons. These persons will approach the homeless on
their tri-cycles to generate awareness about the scheme.
Dikshit described it as a major step towards reaching
to the "un-reached in Delhi".
The enrolment for "Aadhaar" will be carried out during
night hours in Delhi.
She described the handing over of provisional Adhar cards
as a beginning of a "revolution which will serve as a
permanent document of individual`s identity" and facilitate
them their entitlements.
Homeless people will be eligible to apply for the "beghar
cards" in the next six months. The card will also carry the
Chief Secretary Mehta said registration for the UIDAI
project in Delhi has begun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Indian Premier League 9, Match 55: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Sunrisers Hyderabad - As it happened...
- IPL 2016, Match 56: DD vs RCB - Squads, date, time, venue, TV listing, live streaming
- Vin Diesel turns on nostalgic mode; writes heart-touching tribute to Paul Walker while filming 'Fast 8'
- Did you upgrade your WhatsApp to WhatsApp Gold?
- Ayushmann Khurrana's new Hitler/Chaplin look is worth a watch! View inside