Dikshit provides Aaadhar identification nos to the homeless
New Delhi: The national capital on Saturday moved a
step forward in providing identification cards as well as
Aadhaar Identification Numbers to the homeless in the city.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit distributed "beghar" cards
and provisional Unique Identification Numbers to the homeless
in the city on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
At a function jointly organised by Mission Convergence
of Delhi Government and Unique Identification Authority of
India (UIDAI), Dikshit handed over provisional Aadhar cards to
40 poor persons and "beghar" cards to 100 homeless persons at
a night shelter in Nizamuddin area.
The initiative came just two days after Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh along with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
presented "Aadhaar" Identification Numbers to a few tribals in
a village in Maharashtra.
Biometric-based data including fingerprints and an iris
scan is being used for the first time anywhere in the world to
provide a cost-effective nationally valid and verifiable
single source of identity proof through an authentification
Dikshit said provisional Unique Identification Numbers
will be provided to "beghar cardholders" in next 2-3 weeks.
In order to spread awareness on the enrolment drive, a
street play was also presented by a group of disabled and
homeless persons. These persons will approach the homeless on
their tri-cycles to generate awareness about the scheme.
Dikshit described it as a major step towards reaching
to the "un-reached in Delhi".
The enrolment for "Aadhaar" will be carried out during
night hours in Delhi.
She described the handing over of provisional Adhar cards
as a beginning of a "revolution which will serve as a
permanent document of individual`s identity" and facilitate
them their entitlements.
Homeless people will be eligible to apply for the "beghar
cards" in the next six months. The card will also carry the
Chief Secretary Mehta said registration for the UIDAI
project in Delhi has begun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan