Dikshit provides Aaadhar identification nos to the homeless
New Delhi: The national capital on Saturday moved a
step forward in providing identification cards as well as
Aadhaar Identification Numbers to the homeless in the city.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit distributed "beghar" cards
and provisional Unique Identification Numbers to the homeless
in the city on the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
At a function jointly organised by Mission Convergence
of Delhi Government and Unique Identification Authority of
India (UIDAI), Dikshit handed over provisional Aadhar cards to
40 poor persons and "beghar" cards to 100 homeless persons at
a night shelter in Nizamuddin area.
The initiative came just two days after Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh along with UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
presented "Aadhaar" Identification Numbers to a few tribals in
a village in Maharashtra.
Biometric-based data including fingerprints and an iris
scan is being used for the first time anywhere in the world to
provide a cost-effective nationally valid and verifiable
single source of identity proof through an authentification
Dikshit said provisional Unique Identification Numbers
will be provided to "beghar cardholders" in next 2-3 weeks.
In order to spread awareness on the enrolment drive, a
street play was also presented by a group of disabled and
homeless persons. These persons will approach the homeless on
their tri-cycles to generate awareness about the scheme.
Dikshit described it as a major step towards reaching
to the "un-reached in Delhi".
The enrolment for "Aadhaar" will be carried out during
night hours in Delhi.
She described the handing over of provisional Adhar cards
as a beginning of a "revolution which will serve as a
permanent document of individual`s identity" and facilitate
them their entitlements.
Homeless people will be eligible to apply for the "beghar
cards" in the next six months. The card will also carry the
Chief Secretary Mehta said registration for the UIDAI
project in Delhi has begun.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof