Dikshit shocked over Delhi road rage death
New Delhi: Expressing shock over an autorickshaw driver being beaten to death after his three-wheeler nicked an Innova car, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday said the incident was "extremely disturbing".
"These kind of incidents are extremely disturbing not only for the police, but also for governments and society," Dikshit told reporters here.
"So, I think we will have to take a collective decision that we will live in peace and amity. I only hope and pray that the media will also educate all of us," she added.
The road rage case in the national capital took place around 1.45 am on Friday near Rithala petrol pump in Vijay Vihar area of west Delhi. The victim - Rajesh Kumar, 40, a resident of west Delhi`s Buddha Vihar, was beaten to death with bricks, police said.
Kumar, who is survived by his wife and two children, was heading towards his home when his autorickshaw brushed past the stationary Innova leading to a scuffle in which the car passengers beat him up brutally.
The accused have been identified as Rahul, 25, and his friend Vinod, 23.
Rahul, resident of Buddha Vihar, was arrested early Friday from Rithala metro station while Vinod, who stays in Sarai Rohilla, was apprehended in the afternoon.
Salim, an eyewitness, told police that the accused were drunk and were standing outside their Innova car near Rithala petrol pump.
"At that time, Kumar passed by in his autorickshaw, which nicked the Innova. The accused abused the victim and asked him to come back. When the victim returned, they attacked him and beat him to death with some bricks lying on the ground," said BS Jaiswal, Deputy Commissioner of police, citing the statement by the eyewitness.
Jaiswal informed that Salim tried to catch the accused but they fled from the spot.
"Salim also made a call to police. Some whiskey bottles were found inside the Innova car, that was recovered from the spot," said Jaiswal.
During interrogation it came to light that the Innova car, belonging to Om Travel agency, was hired by Rahul. Rahul had given the Innova to Vinod to drive.
"On Wednesday night, Vinod had come to meet Rahul. They consumed alcohol inside the Innova near the Rithala petrol pump and later indulged in a scuffle with the victim," added Jaiswal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?