Dikshit wants significant hike in budgetary share for Delhi
New Delhi: On the eve of the presentation of the Union Budget, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday made a strong pitch for a "significant increase" in central budgetary allocation for Delhi, saying it has been stagnant at Rs 325 crore per annum for last 10 years.
"Please give us more money. We need more central funds. It has been stagnant at Rs 325 crore for last 10 years. The assistance should be proportionate to our annual budget which crossed Rs 35,000 crore," Dikshit said when asked about her expectation from the General Budget.
The Chief Minister had earlier this month written a letter to Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram seeking enhancement in budgetary allocation for Delhi.
She said though the Delhi government has been managing resources on its own for various mega projects, it will require adequate central assistance to further enhance existing infrastructure.
"I hope the Finance Minister will heed to our demands and improve the central allocation," Dikshit said.
The Chief Minister said the Delhi government has set a target of 10.5 per cent growth rate for the national capital during the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-2017). The city had registered a growth rate of 10.2 per cent in the Eleventh Five Year Plan.
"Delhi registered an average annual growth rate of 10.2 per cent in the 11th Five Year Plan and hopes to have a growth rate if 10.5 per cent in the 12th Plan period. Delhi`s contribution to the national income is 3.8 per cent while our share in the total population of the country is 1.5 per cent," Dikshit said.
The projection of the Delhi government for the city`s economic growth during the 12th Five Year Plan is significantly high as compared to the national target of 8 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees