Dikshit wants significant hike in budgetary share for Delhi
New Delhi: On the eve of the presentation of the Union Budget, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday made a strong pitch for a "significant increase" in central budgetary allocation for Delhi, saying it has been stagnant at Rs 325 crore per annum for last 10 years.
"Please give us more money. We need more central funds. It has been stagnant at Rs 325 crore for last 10 years. The assistance should be proportionate to our annual budget which crossed Rs 35,000 crore," Dikshit said when asked about her expectation from the General Budget.
The Chief Minister had earlier this month written a letter to Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram seeking enhancement in budgetary allocation for Delhi.
She said though the Delhi government has been managing resources on its own for various mega projects, it will require adequate central assistance to further enhance existing infrastructure.
"I hope the Finance Minister will heed to our demands and improve the central allocation," Dikshit said.
The Chief Minister said the Delhi government has set a target of 10.5 per cent growth rate for the national capital during the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-2017). The city had registered a growth rate of 10.2 per cent in the Eleventh Five Year Plan.
"Delhi registered an average annual growth rate of 10.2 per cent in the 11th Five Year Plan and hopes to have a growth rate if 10.5 per cent in the 12th Plan period. Delhi`s contribution to the national income is 3.8 per cent while our share in the total population of the country is 1.5 per cent," Dikshit said.
The projection of the Delhi government for the city`s economic growth during the 12th Five Year Plan is significantly high as compared to the national target of 8 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA