Dikshit`s budget focuses on social sector projects
New Delhi: Presenting the 15th consecutive budget of her government, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Wednesday put focus on social sector projects in an election year when her party will approach voters for a record fourth term in the capital.
In her budget speech in Delhi Assembly this evening, the last in her third term, she expressed confidence that the city government is on track to grow on nine per cent compared to five per cent of the national level.
She also outlined the development activities taken up by her government in several sectors, including infrastructure, health, water and transport.
This is the consecutive third term of Dikshit-led Congress government in the capital, which will go to polls in November.
"Delhi is on the track to grow on nine per cent compared to five per cent of national average... The per capita income in Delhi is Rs 2,01,083. It has gone up by five times since this government took over. In 1998 when we came to power it was Rs 40,060," she said.
Presenting a Rs 37,450 crore budget for the next fiscal, she said Rs 16,000 crore has been earmarked as plan outlay.
Out of the total plan outlay, she said, a whopping Rs 10,351 crore has been earmarked for social sector projects.
Dikshit said her government has constructed 65 flyovers during a period 2009-13, the first four years of her third term. Delhi will go to poll later this year.
On the health front, she said she wanted Delhi to be the health and wellbeing capital of the country with emphasis on the holistic development of the sector.
There is an increase of 33 per cent in the allocation for health sector from Rs 1,872 crore to Rs 2,419 crore, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug