Disabled students, teachers of DU stage day-long hunger strike
New Delhi: A group of disabled students and teachers of Delhi University staged a day-long hunger strike on Friday to demand redressal of their grievances and protest against the "intimidation" of those who participated in a demonstration last week.
The protesters -- 28 students and 7 teachers -- protesting under the banner of Sambhavana Organisation accused the University of having an "insensitive and callous attitude" towards their long pending grievances.
The morning to evening hunger strike was attended by several other teachers and students with the protesters claiming that the authorities did not even allow them to set up a tent and even carried out "intimidation" to the disabled participants and their escorts.
The group has been raising a series of demands including a waiver or concession in reevaluation fee of Rs 1,000 for the disabled students, scholarships, non-NET fellowships as well as additional classroom learning support, among others.
The group has demanded that the University constitute an Empowered Committee for preparing a time-bound action plan for the redressal of their grievances.
On January 8, a group of disabled student and teachers had staged protest march to press for their demands and had complained of intimidation.
The university "has been even intimidating those who participated in the 8th January protest," said a statement.
Among other issues being raised by the group are the issue inaccessibility of website, non-maintenance and non-adherence to PH roster on ad hoc and permanent posts; equal treatment to meritorious disabled students in admission procedure; and inaccessibility of libraries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics