Disposal of sexual offence cases higher than others: Delhi HC CJ
New Delhi: Disposal of sexual offence cases is much higher than others and pendency of cases is not due to inability of judges but because of incompletion of formalities and for want of witnesses, Delhi High Court Chief Justice D Murugesan on Wednesday said.
"Going by the statistics, the disposal in the sexual offences cases are much more than the filing. In fact, last year there were about 596 cases that have been disposed of, more or less in similar offences which represent more than 65-75 percent of all the cases.
"The other cases, when I inquired about the pendency, I was told it was due to incompletion of certain formalities and for want of witnesses to be produced in the court and certainly it is not due to the reason that the court is unable to dispose of the case," he said.
Justice Murugesan, who was speaking at the inauguration of a fast track court for trying sexual offence cases at the Saket district courts complex here, said circular has been issued to all judicial officers to put on fast track mode the offences related to disabled persons and children.
"As far as sexual offences are concerned, the high court within no time accepted the proposal of fast track court to try exclusively the offences relating to rape.
"The judiciary is not lagging behind to render justice delivery system to needy people in time," he said.
He also assured that justice would not be sacrificed at the cost of speedy trial in the cases.
He said all the cases relating to sexual offences will be put on fast-track mode and initially the cases which are ready for trial or for taking evidence or arguments will be given priority including the case which is recently much spoken of, the December 16 gang-rape case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP