Disposal of sexual offence cases higher than others: Delhi HC CJ
New Delhi: Disposal of sexual offence cases is much higher than others and pendency of cases is not due to inability of judges but because of incompletion of formalities and for want of witnesses, Delhi High Court Chief Justice D Murugesan on Wednesday said.
"Going by the statistics, the disposal in the sexual offences cases are much more than the filing. In fact, last year there were about 596 cases that have been disposed of, more or less in similar offences which represent more than 65-75 percent of all the cases.
"The other cases, when I inquired about the pendency, I was told it was due to incompletion of certain formalities and for want of witnesses to be produced in the court and certainly it is not due to the reason that the court is unable to dispose of the case," he said.
Justice Murugesan, who was speaking at the inauguration of a fast track court for trying sexual offence cases at the Saket district courts complex here, said circular has been issued to all judicial officers to put on fast track mode the offences related to disabled persons and children.
"As far as sexual offences are concerned, the high court within no time accepted the proposal of fast track court to try exclusively the offences relating to rape.
"The judiciary is not lagging behind to render justice delivery system to needy people in time," he said.
He also assured that justice would not be sacrificed at the cost of speedy trial in the cases.
He said all the cases relating to sexual offences will be put on fast-track mode and initially the cases which are ready for trial or for taking evidence or arguments will be given priority including the case which is recently much spoken of, the December 16 gang-rape case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery