DJB to pay Rs 5K to senior citizen for issuing wrong bills
New Delhi: The Delhi Jal Board (DJB) has been rapped by a consumer forum here for raising "wrong and excess" water bills against a 77-year-old city resident and ordered to pay Rs 5,164 as compensation to him.
The South West District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum said the manner in which the DJB has been issuing wrong bills since 2010 to the customer shows its "negligent attitude" and amounts to deficiency in service.
"We find that the opposite party (DJB) has raised various bills payable by complainant and all these bills were raised for excess and wrong amount.
"The issuance of all the bills for wrong and excess amount continuously from 2010 to the latest bill shows the negligent attitude of DJB, amounting to deficiency in service," said the bench presided by Narendra Kumar.
It directed DJB to pay Rs 5,000 as damages to complainant Ram Chandra Srivastava for causing him inconvenience along with refund of Rs 164 charged as arrears from him.
The civic agency was also warned that if it does not adopt proper billing practice in future, the forum will take a serious view of the matter.
The order came on the plea of Srivastava who had alleged that since May 2010 DJB had been issuing bills of wrong and excess amounts and that the latest bill of May 2011 was of Rs 4,562 which only after his requests was rectified to Rs 860.
In its written statement, the DJB had contended that wrong bills were issued as a result of some computer error and were rectified on the representation made by Srivastava.
The forum, however, rejected the contention saying "it is not at all convincing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened