DMK leader Vijaykant`s party likely to enter poll fray in Delhi election
New Delhi: Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK) party leader Vijaykant is mulling fielding candidates for the upcoming Delhi Assembly polls.
The Tamil Nadu-based party is banking on the 15 lakh Tamils, who have made the national capital their home, party sources said. Vijaykant is likely to make an official announcement about his party`s entry into the poll fray at a public meeting to be organised at Jantar Mantar here on Sunday.
"Our party leader would address a large gathering in Delhi. We held discussions with Vijaykanth, who would take the final call on the candidates and constituencies," VN Dakshinamurthy, Delhi state secretary of DMDK, told PTI.
The actor turned politician, party sources said, was apprised of the problems of Tamils living in Delhi.
Dakshinamurthy claims that Tamils belonging to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe categories were facing problems as they cannot seek any benefits using their community certificates after migration.
"They are living in over a 100 slums spread across the national capital under unhygienic conditions," he stated.
Dakshinamurty also accused Tamil organisations based in Delhi for allegedly neglecting the interests of downtrodden people.
"Against this backdrop, we took up the issue with Vijaykant. In fact, it for the first time that a political party from Tamil Nadu would be contesting on such a massive scale in Delhi," he added.
About 1.15 crore electorates in Delhi would exercise their franchise in 70 constituencies on December 4.
DMDK is the principal opposition party in Tamil Nadu and party chief Vijaykant is the Leader of Opposition in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read