DMRC plans Mandi House as new metro hub
New Delhi: Come next year, the travel on the blue line of Delhi Metro may be sans the usual mad rush at Rajiv Chowk with a new interchange station coming up at the Mandi House station, much to the respite of travellers.
The three-kilometre new corridor under Phase III will have Janpath as its core station, connecting Central Secretariat to Mandi House. This will also directly connect Badarpur line to Mandi House with the latter as the interchanging station.
DMRC Chief Mangu Singh said, "We are giving priority to this site in order to reduce rush at Rajiv Chowk station."
Beginning the construction was a big hurdle earlier as the site was located at a crowded location but most of the issues have been sorted out now, he said. The corridor will have Janpath station, which will directly connect commuters to Janpath Market.
"We have started the work in October last year and within 17 months we have restored this road. Ninety per cent area of the road is open. Seventy per cent work has been completed in this corridor and our target is March 2014," Singh said.
On whether Delhi Metro will be able to provide 24x7 facility like that in foreign countries, the DMRC chief said it is not possible in India.
"We can`t have 24x7 metro service here," he said. On speculations about increase in metro fares, Singh said "We are waiting for the constitution of Fare Fixation Committee. If the fares are increased, we will get benefit definitely."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!