DMRC rainwater harvesting:MoEF,others get last chance to reply
New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal on Friday gave two weeks time to the Ministry of Environment and Forests for filing its response on a plea seeking implementation of rain water harvesting systems at all DMRC stations, and warned that failure to do so would lead to imposition of costs on them.
A bench headed by Justice U D Salvi gave the direction to Uttar Pradesh and Haryana as well after observing that all three respondents are yet to file a reply despite being given time twice before for the same.
"Respondents 2 (MoEF), 6 (UP) and 7 (Haryana) are yet to file reply. Time was granted twice already to give reply. Respondents seek further time. By way of last opportunity, let the replies be filed within two weeks.
"In the event of failure to place reply on record, the respondents will be saddled with cost of Rs 10,000," the bench said and fixed the matter for further hearing on September 26.
The tribunal had on April 12 issued notice and sought the responses of MoEF, the two states as well as Central Ground Water Authority (CGWA), Central Ground Water Board, city government and Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on the plea filed by Noida resident Vikrant Tongad.
While the rest of the parties have already filed their replies, UP, Haryana and MoEF are yet to do so.
Tongad in his plea, filed through advocate Rahul Choudhary, has said that around 6.37 crore litres of water is being lost every year due to the failure to implement rain water harvesting at metro stations, tracks and depots.
He claimed that DMRC is required to set up rain water harvesting systems in order to comply with CGWA`s directions issued under Environment (Protection) Act, 1986 to Chief Secretaries of the states to adopt rain water harvesting in all areas where ground water level is falling.
He alleged that in most of the stations, rain water harvesting systems have not been installed and where they have been set up, they are not in proper working condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?