Doctor couple send to custody till April 22
New Delhi: A doctor couple, arrested for
allegedly leaving their 13-year-old maid locked-up and starving in their flat while vacationing in Bangkok, was Monday remanded in judicial custody for 14 days by a Delhi court.
Dr Sanjay Verma and his medico wife Sumita Verma both were
sent to judicial custody along with an alleged middleman, for
his alleged role in bringing the girl here from her village in
Jharkhand and her employment as maid through placement agency.
The trio was sent to judicial custody after the Delhi
police said it does not need them for further interrogation.
Metropolitan Magistrate Sudhir Kumar Sirohi said, "The
accused, Sanjay Verma, Sumita Verma and Mahadev are sent to
judicial custody till April 22."
The accused were produced before the court after expiry of
their police custody.
The police last week had sought the custody of Dr Sanjay
Verma and Mahadev on the ground that they wanted to probe the
angle of "human trafficking", as a result of which the victim-
girl ended up in the capital.
The court earlier had rejected the anticipatory bail plea
of the couple, saying they had acted in an "inhuman" manner.
The court had also rejected the couple`s attempt to settle
the case by offering Rs 75,000 to the minor girl and her
family, saying the offence was non-compoundable.
The police, which produced the couple and the alleged
middleman after completion of their three-day remand with it,
had told the court that it is still looking for the fourth
accused to be arrested in the case "to complete the chain"
through which the girl was brought to Delhi from Jharkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal