Doctor couple send to custody till April 22
New Delhi: A doctor couple, arrested for
allegedly leaving their 13-year-old maid locked-up and starving in their flat while vacationing in Bangkok, was Monday remanded in judicial custody for 14 days by a Delhi court.
Dr Sanjay Verma and his medico wife Sumita Verma both were
sent to judicial custody along with an alleged middleman, for
his alleged role in bringing the girl here from her village in
Jharkhand and her employment as maid through placement agency.
The trio was sent to judicial custody after the Delhi
police said it does not need them for further interrogation.
Metropolitan Magistrate Sudhir Kumar Sirohi said, "The
accused, Sanjay Verma, Sumita Verma and Mahadev are sent to
judicial custody till April 22."
The accused were produced before the court after expiry of
their police custody.
The police last week had sought the custody of Dr Sanjay
Verma and Mahadev on the ground that they wanted to probe the
angle of "human trafficking", as a result of which the victim-
girl ended up in the capital.
The court earlier had rejected the anticipatory bail plea
of the couple, saying they had acted in an "inhuman" manner.
The court had also rejected the couple`s attempt to settle
the case by offering Rs 75,000 to the minor girl and her
family, saying the offence was non-compoundable.
The police, which produced the couple and the alleged
middleman after completion of their three-day remand with it,
had told the court that it is still looking for the fourth
accused to be arrested in the case "to complete the chain"
through which the girl was brought to Delhi from Jharkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India