Doctors call off strike after assurance from Health Minister
New Delhi: Striking Senior resident doctors and medical students of top Delhi hospitals, including AIIMS, called off their agitation on Thursday after Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad made it clear that there is no proposal to extend the duration MBBS Course.
To the relief of the students, the Minister also said rural posting will not be mandatory for those appearing in PG examination for the year 2015-16.
An official press statement issued by the Health Ministry stated, "Health Minister, Ghulam Nabi Azad, met with the representatives of agitating medical students here today.
"He listened to all their concerns patiently and allayed their fears regarding Medical Council of India (MCI) Notification in respect of one year mandatory rural posting of PHC after completion of MBBS, before they seek admission to PG Course. The Minister has directed concerned officials of the Ministry to keep the Notification in abeyance."
A letter to this effect has already been issued to the MCI, the release said.
"Setting at rest all speculation that the period of MBBS course has been extended by 2 years, he made it clear that there is no such proposal.
"He also stated that rural posting will not be mandatory for appearing in PG examination for the year 2015-16," the statement said.
Doctors from AIIMS, GTB hospital, Safdarjung hospital, Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC), Lady Hardinge Medical College, Deen Dayal Upadhyaya and RML hospital and medical students had demonstrated outside the health ministry`s office at Nirman Bhavan, demanding revision of the proposed MBBS course structure.
The strike had led to the closure of OPDs in many of the hospitals, causing distress to the patients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof