Domestic help gets 3 years jail term in kidnapping case
New Delhi: A domestic help has been sentenced to three years in jail by a Delhi court for kidnapping his employer`s 2-year-old son for a ransom of Rs two crore.
Additional Sessions Judge Rajender Kumar Shastri handed down the jail term to Bihar native Sharvan Kumar, saying the "offenders in such heinous offences do not deserve any leniency".
"Kidnapping of children and that for ransom has wreaked havoc in our country. Tender children are used by the offenders to quench their thirst for money...I sentence the convict Sharvan Kumar for three years rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Rs 10,000 is also imposed on the convict."
The prosecution case dates back to July 18, 2009 when the child`s father Aditya Khemka had lodged a complaint with the Kalkaji police station in south Delhi alleging that Sharvan had kidnapped his child and fled from their house.
"All of my family members except me and my son aged about two years had gone to a neighbour to attend some function. My son was playing with our servant Sharvan. When I went to a room inside the house to change my clothes, our servant went away along with my son. I searched for them here and there but none of them was found," the father had said in the complaint.
The boy`s father had also received a phone call demanding a ransom of Rs 2 crore after his child was abducted.
"The accused initially talked in abusive language and then said that he had kidnapped his son. If he wants his safety, he has to pay him Rs two crore," the prosecution said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali