Domestic help, husband arrested for killing elderly woman
New Delhi: A domestic help and her husband
were arrested for allegedly murdering her 68-year-old woman
employer and looting cash and jewellery worth around Rs 12
lakh from the house, police said today.
Rubi Begam (35) and her husband Rakesh Mehra (27) were
apprehended yesterday from Gopal Nagar area in Jalandhar of
Punjab, where they were in hiding, Deputy Commissioner of
Police (West) Sharad Aggarwal said.
They allegedly stabbed to death Rajinder Kaur (68) in
her residence in west Delhi`s Rajouri Garden on July 17 and
fled with cash and jewellery, he said.
Suspicion fell on Rubi as she went missing after Kaur`s
murder came to light.
During investigations, Aggarwal said, police received
information that the couple were hiding in their relatives`
house in Jalandhar. "They were then arrested and they
confessed to committing the murder," he said.
Rubi, who hails from Assam, came to Delhi 20 years ago.
Rakesh, an electrician by profession, was her third husband as
the previous ones had left her after marriage.
"She was in the habit of stealing things from the houses
where she used to work. One day she happened to see gold and
diamond jewellery in Kaur`s house. Rina told this to Rakesh
and conspired to loot the jewellery. The only son of her
employer is mentally challenged," Aggarwal said.
On July 17, after ensuring that Kaur was sleeping and
sending her employer`s son to the market to buy detergent,
Rubi called Rakesh to the house.
"They attacked the woman. They strangled her and Rakesh
allegedly slit her throat with a blade. Thereafter, they
looted the jewellery and mobile phone of the woman and fled
the spot," Aggarwal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read