Don`t put all judges in one basket: CJI
New Delhi: As demands for judicial
accountability continue to grow, Chief Justice of India SH
Kapadia on Saturday said if any judge is believed to be corrupt he
should be named in public but putting all judges in "one
basket" should be avoided.
Justice Kapadia said the entire judicial system cannot be
brought to disrepute because of few erring judges.
"If you feel that a judge is corrupt then take a stand
and name him in public and tell the Chief Justice instead of
making a generalisation.
But do not put all judges in one basket. Do not bring the
entire judiciary in disrepute. Please do not dismantle the
established system and institution unless and until you have
something better to offer," Justice Kapadia said on the
occasion of the Law Day celebration here.
The CJI said anybody coming out with allegations against
any member of the the judiciary should keep in mind that they
have solid material to back it instead of painting everyone
with the same brush.
"We do not mind studied and fair criticism but attempt
should not be made to generalise the wrong doings by few,"
Kapadia stressed the need for uplifting the integrity,
excellence and competence of the judiciary, saying this would
enable them to maintain the confidence and trust of the
"People have faith in judges and because of the wisdom of
judges they rely in judiciary," he said, adding the integrity
of the judges is more important than the accountability.
"If judges are of integrity, they will not worry on
accountability and the Judicial Accountability Bill," he said.
The CJI also said issues relating to pendency and
arrears of cases have not been projected properly giving a
"totally wrong impression that there have been millions of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row