Don`t take my daughter away, cried gang-rape victim`s mother
New Delhi: "Meri bachchi ko mere paas rehne do, usey mujhse door mat karo (don`t take my daughter away from me, let her remain with me)" was the cry of the distraught mother as the body of her young daughter was being taken to the crematorium.
The mother of the 23-year-old gang-raped woman fainted several times in grief after the body was brought to their family home on early Sunday morning. The mother was taken to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital, where her condition is stated to be stable.
"As soon as the body was taken away for cremation, the mother collapsed," a neighbour, told a news agency.
The body of the young woman, who became the focus of countrywide protests and prayers, was flown in from Singapore at 3.30 am. and taken to the family home at 4.25 am. It was kept there for about two hours before being taken to the crematorium.
The mother was sobbing inconsolably over the body and fainted several times, said neighbours.
"When the body was being put in an ambulance to be taken to the crematorium at around 6.15 a.m., the mother pleaded, `Don`t touch my daughter`s body`, and fainted," said a next-door neighbour. Family members and friends sprinkled water on her face to bring her back to consciousness.
"I don`t want to let my daughter go alone, please let her remain with me," the grief-stricken mother pleaded again and again, before she fell unconscious.
She was taken to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital after her daughter was cremated around 7.30 a.m.
According to one of the neighbours, after the Dec 16 brutal gang-rape and torture of her daughter, the mother had hardly eaten any food, and her health had deteriorated. She has already been keeping unwell for the past few months, another neighbour told a news agency.
Since Saturday evening, a large number of people, mostly neighbours, were assembling outside the family`s home to condole the torture victim`s death.
Meanwhile, reports claim that the victim was going to get married to her boyfriend in the month of February next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- British Council employee under fire over Prince George remarks
- British convert to Islam 'Jihadi Jack' denies joining ISIS
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'