Don’t try me in acquitted case: Sajjan to HC
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, facing trial in one of the 1984 anti-Sikh riot cases, on Friday told the Delhi High Court that he should not be tried in the same case where he has been acquitted by the trial court.
Appearing for Kumar, senior counsel Amrender Sharan submitted before Justice Suresh Kait, who began to hear the final argument on Kumar`s plea, that in 2002 his client was acquitted by a special court in the case and CBI had registered another case in 2005 against him and others with an ulterior motive.
He also submitted the investigating agency has named those persons as the prosecution witnesses who had already testified in the earlier case for the alleged killing of 60 persons during the riot in which he had got acquitted.
After hearing the argument partly, Justice Kait posted the matter for August 25 for further hearing of the case.
Challenging the trial court`s July 1, 2010, order framing charges against Kumar and Brahmanand Gupta, Peru, Khushal Singh and Ved Prakash for the murder of six persons at Sultanpuri area in north-west Delhi in the riots that took place in the aftermath of the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of Justice GT Nanavati Commission which inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly