Don’t try me in acquitted case: Sajjan to HC
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, facing trial in one of the 1984 anti-Sikh riot cases, on Friday told the Delhi High Court that he should not be tried in the same case where he has been acquitted by the trial court.
Appearing for Kumar, senior counsel Amrender Sharan submitted before Justice Suresh Kait, who began to hear the final argument on Kumar`s plea, that in 2002 his client was acquitted by a special court in the case and CBI had registered another case in 2005 against him and others with an ulterior motive.
He also submitted the investigating agency has named those persons as the prosecution witnesses who had already testified in the earlier case for the alleged killing of 60 persons during the riot in which he had got acquitted.
After hearing the argument partly, Justice Kait posted the matter for August 25 for further hearing of the case.
Challenging the trial court`s July 1, 2010, order framing charges against Kumar and Brahmanand Gupta, Peru, Khushal Singh and Ved Prakash for the murder of six persons at Sultanpuri area in north-west Delhi in the riots that took place in the aftermath of the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of Justice GT Nanavati Commission which inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak
- It's Official! LG V20 to be world’s first phone with Android 7.0 Nougat