DoT announces women helpline number `167`
New Delhi: Admist nationwide uproar over brutal gang-rape of a paramedic student, the Telecom Ministry on Monday announced a three-digit women helpline number `167`.
"For helping women in distress, Delhi Chief Minister requested (Telecom Minister) Kapil Sibal to allot a three digit phone number.
"Though DoT has limited resource in respect of three-digit numbers, yet within two hours of the request, a three-digit number `167` has been allotted for Chief Minister`s helpline," a statement from the Department of Telecom said.
This is the first three-digit number to have been allotted in two years.
Protests across the country are being seen demanding speedy justice to the accused in the Delhi gangrape case, where a 23-year-old para-medical student from Dehradun was alleged raped on Sunday night in a moving bus here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement