DP moves HC for expunction of trial court`s remark
New Delhi: Delhi Police have moved the High Court seeking expunging of adverse remarks made against them by the trial court for not probing the sexual exploitation angle in former airhostess suicide case in which former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda is the main accused.
Justice G P Mittal Friday issued notices and sought responses by July 9 from Kanda and his employee Aruna Chadha who are facing trial in the case.
The application filed by police objected to the trial court`s remark dubbing the probe as "tainted and stinking".
The remarks were made by the trial court in its May 10 order on framing of charges against them.
Delhi Police sought expunging of the adverse observations saying they were made "without notice to investigators".
Appearing for police, Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Siddharth Luthra submitted before the court that "further investigation into the sexual exploitation aspect has not been stopped."
He said the trial judge should have directed the prosecution for production of additional evidence in this regard if it found lack of evidence at this stage.
The counsel argued the trial court does not have the jurisdiction to make such remarks and should have passed the order framing charges against the accused on the basis of the evidence placed on record.
The former air hostess, who was earlier employed with Kanda`s MLDR airlines, was found dead on August 5 last year at her Ashok Vihar residence in North West Delhi. In her August 4 suicide note, she had said she was ending her life due to "harassment" by Kanda, 46, and Chadha, 40.
Kanda was forced to resign as Minister of State for Home following the registration of the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged