This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Dr Naresh Trehan defends decision to shift gang-rape victim to Singapore

Cardiovascular surgeon Dr Naresh Trehan, who checked 23-year-old gang-rape victim before she was taken to Singapore, defended decision to shift her saying it was done only to stablise her condition.

New Delhi: Renowned cardiovascular surgeon Dr Naresh Trehan, who had checked the 23-year-old gang-rape victim before she was taken to Singapore, on Friday strongly defended the decision to shift her saying it was done only to stablise her condition and not for any immediate intestinal transplant.
Trehan, the Managing Director of Medanta Medicity that helped setting up an Intensive Care Unit aboard the air ambulance in which the victim was flown, said he had never seen such "brutality inflicted" on a person in his career and he still could not accept the "gravity of the crime".

Majority part of the intestine of the victim was removed during her treatment at Safdarjung Hospital and when she was airlifted to Singapore, it was speculated that she was sent there for an intestinal transplant.

"Doctors at Safdarjung treated her the best possible way they could do. She had lost her intestine and everyone was praying that one day she will be ready as a candidate for an intestinal transplant. Transplant is a long journey," he said, adding that at that juncture she was not in any condition for a transplant.

Trehan, who said the girl has to be admired for her spirit, was speaking at a press conference to give details about the country`s first intestinal transplant at his hospital conducted in November-end.

Everyone, including the Government, was "shaken" over this case and all one could think then was what can be done for this girl, he said.

"Doctors were doing the best they can do. Then they thought of the centres for long-term transplant. If someone asks was the girl alive when she was transported, the answer is yes," he said.

The girl, who was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16 and thrown out of the vehicle, died at Singapore`s Mount Elizabeth Hospital on December 29 after battling for life for 13 days.

"She was sent (to Singapore) more to stablise her (condition) and help her get through the ordeal and not for an immediate intestinal transplant," he said, answering a flurry of questions on the issue.


From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions