DRI may quiz Tibetan guru on alleged tax evasion
New Delhi: The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) may quiz a top Tibetan religious leader for allegedly evading duty charges on four imported luxury vehicles.
A notice has already been sent to Palpung Sherubling Monastery, a seat of present Gyalwang Karmapa`s guru Kenting Tai Situ Rinpoche, seeking clarification on the matter, a DRI official said.
"We have sent a notice seeking details of duty paid while getting the cars into the country. No reply has been received so far. We may quiz the leader to get information on it," the official said.
DRI officials claimed to have found that the four vehicles, including Isuzu Trooper and Land Rover, carrying Bhutan registration numbers were brought in the country allegedly by Rinpoche without paying requisite fee or completing necessary formalities.
Himachal Pradesh Police have impounded the vehicles and a case has already been registered in this connection.
When contacted, Situ Rinpoche`s office said, "The issue is now between the government of Bhutan and the Ministry of External Affairs, government of India. The MEA has written to the Himachal government to settle the issue."
Officials said the DRI was ascertaining the manner in which vehicles were imported in the country and whether the duties were paid or not.
As per the procedure, one has to pay 100 per cent import duty while bringing in any foreign-make vehicle or get an exemption certificate from the Finance Ministry in case the vehicle are being gifted or being brought in with other related purposes.
Monastery officials, however, said the vehicles were given as gift to the Tibetan leader by the Royal grandmother of Bhutan.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- HCL Tech Q3 net profit grows 14.4% to Rs 1,926 crore
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS): 10 things you must know!
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report
- PCB clears Younis Khan after accepting his apology