DRI may quiz Tibetan guru on alleged tax evasion
New Delhi: The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) may quiz a top Tibetan religious leader for allegedly evading duty charges on four imported luxury vehicles.
A notice has already been sent to Palpung Sherubling Monastery, a seat of present Gyalwang Karmapa`s guru Kenting Tai Situ Rinpoche, seeking clarification on the matter, a DRI official said.
"We have sent a notice seeking details of duty paid while getting the cars into the country. No reply has been received so far. We may quiz the leader to get information on it," the official said.
DRI officials claimed to have found that the four vehicles, including Isuzu Trooper and Land Rover, carrying Bhutan registration numbers were brought in the country allegedly by Rinpoche without paying requisite fee or completing necessary formalities.
Himachal Pradesh Police have impounded the vehicles and a case has already been registered in this connection.
When contacted, Situ Rinpoche`s office said, "The issue is now between the government of Bhutan and the Ministry of External Affairs, government of India. The MEA has written to the Himachal government to settle the issue."
Officials said the DRI was ascertaining the manner in which vehicles were imported in the country and whether the duties were paid or not.
As per the procedure, one has to pay 100 per cent import duty while bringing in any foreign-make vehicle or get an exemption certificate from the Finance Ministry in case the vehicle are being gifted or being brought in with other related purposes.
Monastery officials, however, said the vehicles were given as gift to the Tibetan leader by the Royal grandmother of Bhutan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says