Drivers` duty to take care of persons crossing road: MACT
New Delhi: Holding it to be the drivers`
duty to take care of persons crossing roads, a motor accident
claim tribunal has awarded Rs 5.75 lakh as compensation to the
family of a woman, crushed to death by a rashly driven crane
near Ghazipur traffic intersection in east Delhi.
"It is the duty of the driver, driving the heavy
vehicles to take care of the persons crossing the road. It can
be easily inferred that if the speed of the offending vehicle
(crane) had been slow, the driver of the crane might have
applied brakes in time and could have avoided the accident,"
the judge held, while awarding the compensation.
MACT Judge Arvind Kumar granted the compensation to
the family of victim Manju Pandey, who was hit by a crane on
October 9, 2009, and succumbed to her injuries the same day.
The court awarded the compensation after holding as
"not trustworthy" the account of the eyewitnesses that Manju
was crossing the road carelessly and though the driver of the
crane wanted to save her, accident was caused because of her
On the fateful day, the accident occurred when Manju
and her husband Ashok Kumar Pandey were going to Patparganj
Industrial Area. As they reached Ghazipur traffic intersection
and were crossing the road, the crane coming from the Ghazipur
village side hit Manju, injuring her seriously.
She was rushed to nearby Dr Hedgewar Arogya Sanstan
where she succumbed to her injuries the same day. She is
survived by her husband and two daughters.
The insurance company concerned was asked to pay the
amount with interest in one month from the date of the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested