Drop in swine flu cases as monsoon retreats: Govt
New Delhi: With the monsoon withdrawing, the number of swine flu cases in the country has seen a sharp drop - to almost half the previous, an official spokesperson said here Tuesday.
A total of 337 cases were reported from all parts of the country during the week ended Oct 2 as against 616 recorded during the previous week.
Tamil Nadu recorded the highest number of 72 cases, but no deaths, while Maharashtra recorded 61 cases and 17 deaths, the spokesperson said.
A high number of 65 cases were reported from Rajasthan while Gujarat had 15 cases.
Other than the southern and western states, almost the whole country had very low number of swine flu cases.
The national capital Delhi, which is holding the Commonwealth Games, recorded 19 cases and three deaths.
A total of 2,574 deaths have been recorded due to swine flu since May 2009 when the disease broke in India. A total of 44,687 confirmed cases have been reported since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best