Drug peddler held; heroin seized
New Delhi: An alleged drug peddler was arrested with 260 gram heroin meant to be consumed during new year parties in the national capital.
Gopi Ram (47) was arrested by the Crime Branch of Delhi Police yesterday from near St. Lawrence Public School, Geeta Colony after it received a tip off about him, police said.
"We have recovered 260 gm heroin which is part of the consignment suspected to be consumed in the parties during New Year celebrations in the city. The seized contraband is worth Rs 52 lakh," said a Crime Branch official.
During interrogation, Ram told police that he was an auto driver and was in severe debt. He came in contact with Bulbul, a drug supplier, who offered him a lucrative deal for supplying the narcotic drugs locally, the official said.
"To repay the loan and to meet his day to day expenses, he joined Bulbul to make a fast buck. Yesterday, Bulbul gave him this consignment to supply for consumption in the parties during New Year celebrations in Delhi but he was caught red handed," the official said.
Efforts are on to trace Bulbul, further investigations in the case are in progress, police said.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari makes quarterfinal exit as no Indian left in individual events
- Vedanta posts Q4 loss of Rs 11,181 crore on impairment charge
- RBI proposes to regulate peer-to-peer lending sector
- Mamta Kulkarni's husband involved in country's biggest drug seizure?
- US economy expands 0.5% in Q1, slowest in two years