Drug trafficker jailed for 10 years, fined Rs one
New Delhi: A 28-year-old youth, caught with
500 grams of heroin here in February 2010, has been sentenced
to ten years in jail by a Delhi court with the judge observing
that the law provides for a stern punishment to drug peddlers.
Holding Rajasthan native Deepender Kumar guilty of
possessing commercial quantity of heroin, Special Judge
Brijesh Kumar Garg also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on him.
A Central government notification fixes commercial
quantity for various drugs at various levels. For heroin, it
has been fixed at 250 grams and above.
"The NDPS (Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances)
Act, 1985 has been enacted to implement the provisions of the
International Conventions on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances and for matters connected therewith.
"By this enactment, the sentence structure has been
rationalised to ensure that drug traffickers, who indulge in
significant quantity of drugs, are punished with deterrent
sentences," said the court, while sentencing Sikar resident
According to the police, Kumar was arrested on a tip-off
near a bus stop near Seelam Pur metro station and was found in
possession of 500 grams Heroin without any license or permit.
During the trial, Kumar told the court that he was falsely
implicated in the case as, he claimed nothing was recovered
from him and the alleged contraband was planted upon him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America