Drug trafficker jailed for 10 years, fined Rs one
New Delhi: A 28-year-old youth, caught with
500 grams of heroin here in February 2010, has been sentenced
to ten years in jail by a Delhi court with the judge observing
that the law provides for a stern punishment to drug peddlers.
Holding Rajasthan native Deepender Kumar guilty of
possessing commercial quantity of heroin, Special Judge
Brijesh Kumar Garg also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on him.
A Central government notification fixes commercial
quantity for various drugs at various levels. For heroin, it
has been fixed at 250 grams and above.
"The NDPS (Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances)
Act, 1985 has been enacted to implement the provisions of the
International Conventions on Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances and for matters connected therewith.
"By this enactment, the sentence structure has been
rationalised to ensure that drug traffickers, who indulge in
significant quantity of drugs, are punished with deterrent
sentences," said the court, while sentencing Sikar resident
According to the police, Kumar was arrested on a tip-off
near a bus stop near Seelam Pur metro station and was found in
possession of 500 grams Heroin without any license or permit.
During the trial, Kumar told the court that he was falsely
implicated in the case as, he claimed nothing was recovered
from him and the alleged contraband was planted upon him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi