Drug traffickers get 10-yr-RI for carrying over 240 kgs charas
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday awarded ten
years rigorous imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs two lakh
each on two persons found carrying over 240 kilograms of
charas here in 2006.
"The convicts are involved in the trafficking of charas.
The effect of consumption of charas on the society is
disastrous", Additional Sessions Judge Sanjiv Jain said.
The court held Triloki Singh and Ashok Kumar guilty under
various provisions of Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances Act dealing with possession and distribution of
commercial quantity of the contraband.
It allowed the plea of B S Arora, special public
prosecutor for Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB), that the
convicts did not deserve lenient approach while awarding the
The court allowed NCB to reopen the case in future
against third accused Ajay Pratap Singh who absconded and was
later declared proclaimed offender during the trial.
Relying on documentary and other evidence including the
disclosure statements of the accused, the court said "no doubt
is left in my mind that the accused were party to the criminal
conspiracy in acquiring, possession of charas in contravention
of the Act."
NCB, acting on a secret information, had laid a trap
outside the gate of a shooting range at Surajkund in Haryana
on June 22, 2006.
The convicts, who were waiting for the recipient of
the drugs at the spot in their vehicle, were apprehended by
NCB recovered the charas from the vehicle at their
instance and the purity of the contraband was established in
the forensic test.
Ajay Pratap, the third accused and the owner of the
vehicle, claimed ignorance about the incident and later did
not take part in the probe and was declared a proclaimed
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened