Drunk driving: Man to do traffic duty and communit
New Delhi: A man, sentenced to 20 days in jail for driving in an inebriated state, has been directed by a court here to assist police in managing traffic at a busy signal and do community service at a temple for ten days each.
Additional Sessions Judge S C Rajan waived the jail term and directed 46-year-old Delhi resident Dharamvir to assist the traffic police officials at a busy signal here in managing and diverting traffic from 10 am to 5 pm for 10 days.
The court also asked him to perform community service at Jhandewalan Mandir here everyday from 6.30 am to 10 am and then from 4 pm to 10 pm for 10 days after after completing the task of assisting traffic police.
The court directed Dharamvir to report to South West district`s DCP (Traffic) who will depute him to assist the officials at a traffic signal. It also issued notice to the officer for submitting his report after the convict completes his traffic duty.
According to the prosecution, the accused was caught near PVR Naraina on October 25 this year driving his vehicle in an inebriated condition. He was challaned and was sentenced to imprisonment by the trial court.
Dharamvir had approached the sessions court challenging the order of the magistrate sentencing him to 20 days in jail and imposing a fine of Rs 4,000 upon him.
He had sought setting aside the order of the trial court of sentencing him and also disqualifying his driving licence for six months.
He had said he has to support his wife and three minor kids and if sent behind bars, he would suffer an irreparable loss.
The sessions court modified the sentence, giving the convict "an opportunity to mend himself" and "to learn the norms of civic society." It, however, maintained the decision of disqualifying his driving licence "just to keep him away from repeating such an act in future."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon