Drunken drivers made to stand in court for the day, let off
New Delhi: Two men, sentenced to ten days
in jail for driving their motor bikes under influence of
liquor, by two different magisterial courts have been let off
by a sessions judge after being made to stand in the court as
punishment till its rising in the evening.
In the first case, an East Delhi resident and private
firm employee Anirudh Singh was sentenced to 10 days` jail
term by a magisterial court on February 24.
He had been caught by the traffic police on January 28
for driving a motorcycle under the influence of alcohol. The
alcohol content in his blood had tested 13 times higher than
the permissible limit of 30 mg per 100 ml of blood. He had
been convicted after pleading guilty.
In his appeal to the court of Additional Sessions
Judge A K Chawla, his counsel submitted that he was not been
convicted earlier and was quite a responsible person. He was
let off with the mild punishment after he assured the court
that he will not indulge in drunken driving in future.
In a similar case, Ratnesh Singh, a businessman, was
convicted and sentenced to ten days in prison for drunken
driving by the trial court.
A resident of Maujpur here, Ratnesh was caught by the
traffic police on February 4 night while driving his
motorcycle with 13 times higher alcohol content in his blood.
In his appeal, he too assured the court of not
repeating drunken driving in future.
While upholding convictions in both the cases, the
judge modified the sentence and ordered the convicts to keep
standing in the court till its rising. They were also fined Rs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'