Drunken drivers made to stand in court for the day, let off
New Delhi: Two men, sentenced to ten days
in jail for driving their motor bikes under influence of
liquor, by two different magisterial courts have been let off
by a sessions judge after being made to stand in the court as
punishment till its rising in the evening.
In the first case, an East Delhi resident and private
firm employee Anirudh Singh was sentenced to 10 days` jail
term by a magisterial court on February 24.
He had been caught by the traffic police on January 28
for driving a motorcycle under the influence of alcohol. The
alcohol content in his blood had tested 13 times higher than
the permissible limit of 30 mg per 100 ml of blood. He had
been convicted after pleading guilty.
In his appeal to the court of Additional Sessions
Judge A K Chawla, his counsel submitted that he was not been
convicted earlier and was quite a responsible person. He was
let off with the mild punishment after he assured the court
that he will not indulge in drunken driving in future.
In a similar case, Ratnesh Singh, a businessman, was
convicted and sentenced to ten days in prison for drunken
driving by the trial court.
A resident of Maujpur here, Ratnesh was caught by the
traffic police on February 4 night while driving his
motorcycle with 13 times higher alcohol content in his blood.
In his appeal, he too assured the court of not
repeating drunken driving in future.
While upholding convictions in both the cases, the
judge modified the sentence and ordered the convicts to keep
standing in the court till its rising. They were also fined Rs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read