Drunken drivers made to stand in court for the day, let off
New Delhi: Two men, sentenced to ten days
in jail for driving their motor bikes under influence of
liquor, by two different magisterial courts have been let off
by a sessions judge after being made to stand in the court as
punishment till its rising in the evening.
In the first case, an East Delhi resident and private
firm employee Anirudh Singh was sentenced to 10 days` jail
term by a magisterial court on February 24.
He had been caught by the traffic police on January 28
for driving a motorcycle under the influence of alcohol. The
alcohol content in his blood had tested 13 times higher than
the permissible limit of 30 mg per 100 ml of blood. He had
been convicted after pleading guilty.
In his appeal to the court of Additional Sessions
Judge A K Chawla, his counsel submitted that he was not been
convicted earlier and was quite a responsible person. He was
let off with the mild punishment after he assured the court
that he will not indulge in drunken driving in future.
In a similar case, Ratnesh Singh, a businessman, was
convicted and sentenced to ten days in prison for drunken
driving by the trial court.
A resident of Maujpur here, Ratnesh was caught by the
traffic police on February 4 night while driving his
motorcycle with 13 times higher alcohol content in his blood.
In his appeal, he too assured the court of not
repeating drunken driving in future.
While upholding convictions in both the cases, the
judge modified the sentence and ordered the convicts to keep
standing in the court till its rising. They were also fined Rs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report