Drunken driving: Man`s driving licence suspended for one year
New Delhi: A Delhi court has reduced the suspension of a person`s driving licence from two years to one year in a drunken driving case, saying the punishment awarded by a magisterial court was on "a bit harsher side".
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Lokesh Kumar Sharma upheld the magistrate`s order on conviction and sentence of taxi driver Sanjeev Kumar but reduced the suspension period of his driving licence.
"Kumar was not a previous convict for similar nature of offence and is the sole bread earner of his family... And considering the fact that he is a taxi driver, his punishment of disqualifying his driving licence for a period of two years appears to be on a bit harsher side.
"Therefore, the period of suspension of his driving licence is reduced to one year," the ASJ said, while upholding his conviction under the Motor Vehicle Act.
The sessions court was hearing an appeal filed by Kumar against the May 9, 2014 order of the trial court which had convicted him for drunken driving and various other provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act.
The magisterial court had also sentenced him to undergo TRC (till rising of the court) along with a fine of Rs 3,000 and suspension of his driving licence for a period of two years.
Kumar had sought setting aside of the complete order of the trial court by submitting that he was not a previous offender and driving was his profession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das