DSGMC flays Rahul Gandhi`s remarks
New Delhi: The Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee today criticised Rahul Gandhi`s remarks about the killing of his grandmother and father and said he had tried to arouse sentiments while the victims of 1984 anti-Sikh riots have still not got justice.
Delhi State Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) President Manjit Singh GK alleged Congress was responsible for the riots in 1984 and that it continued to shield the culprits.
"The statement given by Rahul Gandhi is highly objectionable. Instead of seeking votes on the basis of facts, he has tried to get votes by arousing sentiments and reminding the people of an episode which the country wants to forget," Manjit Singh GK said.
He said anti-sikh riots of 1984, which had erupted after the death of former PM Indira Gandhi, "are a blot" on Indian democracy.
The DSGMC chief said Rahul`s comments would have been justified had his party`s government provided justice to the victims of 1984 riots.
"From that dais, you did not speak a single word for those who had been killed in the riots....These comments only reflect political bankruptcy," Singh said.
He alleged those who had killed people in 1984 had been made MPs and ministers.
Singh said Rahul`s comments had been timed keeping an eye on elections.
Speaking at a rally in Churu in Rajasthan yesterday, Rahul Gandhi had said divisive politics leads to anger, resentment and precious lives are lost in violence.
"My grandmother was killed. My father was assassinated and perhaps I may also be killed one day," Rahul had said and had gone on to criticise BJP.
Manjinder Singh added they were planning to write to the Election Commission against the remarks made by Rahul Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report