DTC driver who ran over cyclist, out on probation
New Delhi: A DTC driver, sentenced to two years in jail for mowing down a cyclist nearly 12 years ago, has been released on probation by a Delhi court.
While releasing driver Ram Mehar, a Najafgarh resident, on probation, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) S C Rajan asked him to furnish an undertaking of good behaviour and pay Rs one lakh as compensation to the victim`s family members.
"Keeping in view the facts and circumstances of the case and the submissions of the counsel that appellant (Ram Mehar) is a first-time offender, a government servant and as he has been facing trial for last about 12 years and himself offered to pay Rs one lakh to the family members of deceased, I consider it expedient to release Mehar Ram on probation of good conduct," the court said.
"It is, therefore, ordered that the convict be released on probation for a period of one year on his entering into a personal bond in the sum of Rs 10,000 with one surety in the like amount to appear and receive sentence as and when called upon during such period and, in the meantime, Mehar shall keep peace and be of good behaviour," the court said.
The court`s judgement came on Mehar`s appeal against the order of a magisterial court, which had sentenced him to two years in jail and had imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 for rash driving.
The sessions court ordered his release on probation, while upholding his conviction.
The prosecution case dated back to November 2001 when Mehar Ram was driving a DTC bus in rash manner and hit cyclist Prabhu Nath from behind leading to his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Scrapping 15-year old vehicles: Draft policy to to be ready in a fortnight
- Just Awesome! WATCH KL Rahul score incredible ton against West Indies in just 46 balls
- Walking can cut cardiovascular death by half
- When Robert Vadra had verbal spat with BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi over police horse Shaktiman's death - ALL DETAILS HERE
- 'Those provoking youth in Kashmir for Jihaad have kept their children in safe havens'