DTC driver who ran over cyclist, out on probation
New Delhi: A DTC driver, sentenced to two years in jail for mowing down a cyclist nearly 12 years ago, has been released on probation by a Delhi court.
While releasing driver Ram Mehar, a Najafgarh resident, on probation, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) S C Rajan asked him to furnish an undertaking of good behaviour and pay Rs one lakh as compensation to the victim`s family members.
"Keeping in view the facts and circumstances of the case and the submissions of the counsel that appellant (Ram Mehar) is a first-time offender, a government servant and as he has been facing trial for last about 12 years and himself offered to pay Rs one lakh to the family members of deceased, I consider it expedient to release Mehar Ram on probation of good conduct," the court said.
"It is, therefore, ordered that the convict be released on probation for a period of one year on his entering into a personal bond in the sum of Rs 10,000 with one surety in the like amount to appear and receive sentence as and when called upon during such period and, in the meantime, Mehar shall keep peace and be of good behaviour," the court said.
The court`s judgement came on Mehar`s appeal against the order of a magisterial court, which had sentenced him to two years in jail and had imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 for rash driving.
The sessions court ordered his release on probation, while upholding his conviction.
The prosecution case dated back to November 2001 when Mehar Ram was driving a DTC bus in rash manner and hit cyclist Prabhu Nath from behind leading to his death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand