DTC launches bus service to airport
New Delhi: A 24-hour bus service linking the
airport to multiple points in the city and its suburbs was
on Thursday launched by Delhi government to provide transportation
to air passengers and discourage movement of private vehicles
to the IGI airport.
Initially, 60 low floor swanky air conditioned buses have
been deployed for the Airport Express Service which will
provide the commuters internet facilities as well as tea,
coffee and water on board the buses.
Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely, launching the
service, said DTC has been told to maintain highest standard
of quality in running the service.
The Government had planned the service last year mainly
to decongest the roads leading to the airport and ensure a
comfortable access for air passengers.
Although the service was launched today, it will start
regular operation from tomorrow.
The aim is to provide a world class transport service to
air passengers and limit the number of vehicles coming to the
airport, a transport department official said.
The service will be operated on six routes linking
areas like Anand Vihar, Rohini, Noida, ISBT Kashmere Gate,
Azadpur and Indira Puram.
The minimum fare would be Rs 25 for first 10 km while
Rs 50 will be charged for up to 20 km. A passenger will have
to shell out Rs 75 if he travels 30 km while Rs 100 has been
fixed for travel beyond 30 km.
The passengers will be allowed to carry one hand bag and
one baggage free of cost and Rs 25 will be charged per extra
The fare structure of the routes linking Noida and
Indira Puram will be at par with fare structure of the normal
bus service. However, taxes will be applicable as decided by
the Uttar Pradesh government, the official said.
Global Positioning System would be installed in all the
60 buses and information with regard to the movement of the
buses will be be made available on the DTC website.
Frequent air travellers can purchase a bunch of 10
tickets of Rs 100 denomination and they will be given 10 per
cent concession and the validity of the tickets will be for a
period of six month from the date of issue, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning