DTC victim`s relatives given Rs 17 lakh compensation
New Delhi: The family members of a self-employed man, who died in an accident while travelling by a DTC bus last year, have been awarded a compensation of nearly Rs 17 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The Tribunal directed the New India Assurance Company Ltd, with which the vehicle involved in the accident was insured, to pay Rs 16,88,000 to the wife and four minor kids of Rajendra Prasad Yadav who died in the accident.
Yadav had died in the accident in October last year when he was travelling by a DTC bus standing on its foot-board and it was hit by another bus driven rashly.
"In view of the testimony of the parties and supporting documents available on record, it is prima facie proved that the deceased (Yadav) died due to rash and negligent driving of the driver of the offending bus," MACT Presiding Officer Dinesh Bhatt said.
The accident took place at Burari Road when the driver of the offending bus was reversing it and hit the DTC bus. Due to the impact, Yadav fell down and sustained fatal injuries.
After the accident, the 46-year-old Burari resident was taken to hospital where he was declared brought dead.
Anil Kumar, driver of the offending bus belonging to M/s City Life Line Travels Pvt Ltd, however, denied his involvement in the accident and said it has occurred due to the negligence of the DTC bus driver and because of Yadav`s fault as he was travelling on the footboard.
Yadav`s wife submitted he was engaged in the business of selling and purchasing of goods, had no fixed place of work and was earning Rs 10,000 per month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note