DU college students protest against hostel fee hike
New Delhi: Students of Delhi University's Lady Irwin College Saturday protested against the hike in hostel fees.
The students have to pay almost Rs.40,000 more than the earlier amount for staying in the hostel for a year.
The college students used to pay a total of Rs.40,250 in two instalments for a year, now it has been increased to Rs.79,100 in two instalments. The students have to pay Rs. 41,700 as the first instalment and then Rs.37,400 as the second.
"This is so unfair, such a huge increase. We have no option left than to protest against the authorities," a college student told IANS.
Saket Bahugana, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) Delhi secretary said: "The university (DU) should immediately intervene and fix a regulation so that colleges cannot at their whims and fancy increase the fees."
The college officials could not be reached for comment.
Lady Irwin College has two hostel buildings, one for the students of undergraduate courses and the other for the post-graduate and Ph.D students. The hostel is managed by a hostel committee constituted by the staff council of the college.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal