DU college students protest against hostel fee hike
New Delhi: Students of Delhi University's Lady Irwin College Saturday protested against the hike in hostel fees.
The students have to pay almost Rs.40,000 more than the earlier amount for staying in the hostel for a year.
The college students used to pay a total of Rs.40,250 in two instalments for a year, now it has been increased to Rs.79,100 in two instalments. The students have to pay Rs. 41,700 as the first instalment and then Rs.37,400 as the second.
"This is so unfair, such a huge increase. We have no option left than to protest against the authorities," a college student told IANS.
Saket Bahugana, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) Delhi secretary said: "The university (DU) should immediately intervene and fix a regulation so that colleges cannot at their whims and fancy increase the fees."
The college officials could not be reached for comment.
Lady Irwin College has two hostel buildings, one for the students of undergraduate courses and the other for the post-graduate and Ph.D students. The hostel is managed by a hostel committee constituted by the staff council of the college.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth