DU college students protest against hostel fee hike
New Delhi: Students of Delhi University's Lady Irwin College Saturday protested against the hike in hostel fees.
The students have to pay almost Rs.40,000 more than the earlier amount for staying in the hostel for a year.
The college students used to pay a total of Rs.40,250 in two instalments for a year, now it has been increased to Rs.79,100 in two instalments. The students have to pay Rs. 41,700 as the first instalment and then Rs.37,400 as the second.
"This is so unfair, such a huge increase. We have no option left than to protest against the authorities," a college student told IANS.
Saket Bahugana, Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) Delhi secretary said: "The university (DU) should immediately intervene and fix a regulation so that colleges cannot at their whims and fancy increase the fees."
The college officials could not be reached for comment.
Lady Irwin College has two hostel buildings, one for the students of undergraduate courses and the other for the post-graduate and Ph.D students. The hostel is managed by a hostel committee constituted by the staff council of the college.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India