DU keeps away scribes from covering Prez`s function
New Delhi: Mismanagement by Delhi University authorities was blamed for accredited journalists being kept away from covering a function attended by President Pranab Mukherjee here Tuesday.
Reporters and photo journalists, who are accredited by the Press Information Bureau (PIB), were seen entering into heated arguments with security personnel outside Old Vice Regal Building inside the university`s campus to secure entry to cover the ninth convocation ceremony.
The mediapersons were barred from entering the venue on the basis of PIB card, issued by Ministry of Information and Broadcasting to facilitate access to journalists in government departments guarded by central security police forces among others after extensive police verification.
When an aggrieved journalist contacted DU Registrar Alka Sharma, she said "I have instructed security personnel to allow entry to reporters on the basis of PIB card. If they are not allowing, I can`t do anything about it".
Incidentally, the Registrar`s office had through an email yesterday requested details of reporters from media organisations to ensure coverage.
"I do not know how it happened. I had given my name but now they are not allowing me. DU officials are also not answering their phone," said a journalist, accompanied by his photographer, from a Hindi daily.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest