DU professor accused of Naxal links sent in judicial custody
Gadchiroli: The magistrate`s court here today remanded GN Saibaba, the Delhi University professor arrested for links with the Naxals, in judicial custody till May 23.
Gadchiroli police had arrested him yesterday in Delhi.
He was produced before the Judicial Magistrate here who remanded him in 14 days` judicial custody, said the investigating officer Suhas Bawche.
Police did not seek his custody immediately as the lock-ups in the district did not have the facilities for a disabled person, Bawche said, adding that police custody would be sought once the necessary facilities were installed.
For now he would be lodged in a jail in Nagpur.
Saibaba, who is wheelchair-bound, has been booked under the stringent Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
According to the police sources, he came on police`s radar after the arrest of Jawaharlal Nehru University student Hemant Mishra, who allegedly told the investigators that he worked as courier between Saibaba and the Maoists who were holed up in the Abujmad forests in neighbouring Chhattisgarh.
According to the police, the professor ran an organisation which was a front for the Naxals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi