DU spent over one crore as legal expenses in 3 years
New Delhi: The Delhi University spent
nearly Rs one crore as legal expenses for contesting various
High Court cases, an RTI application has revealed.
The details of accounts show that expenditures incurred
in the High Court increased in last three years and the DU
spent Rs 41.07 lakh during fiscal 2008-09 alone.
The figures came to light in an RTI application filed by
T K Roy in which he wanted to know the details of legal
expenses incurred by the University and in particular the
Biodiversity Parks Programme being run by Dr C R Babu, a
former Registrar of the University.
The University said the amount spent on legal purposes
for the Biodiversity program was only Rs 47,100.
The reply says during financial year 2006-07
Rs 25,92,294 was spent for contesting different High Court
cases while in 2007-08 Rs 37,08,311 was spent. In 2008-09, the
University had spent Rs 41,07,701 for the expenses.
The legal department of the University through a letter
has asked Roy to inspect the files as they are "old and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention
- No newspapers, television for Arvind Kejriwal for 12 days in August - Know why
- Flood wrecks havoc in Bihar, Assam; more than 40 dead, lakhs affected
- Houthi rebels form Supreme Council to govern Yemen
- Boy George 'devastated' over friend's suicide