DU spent over one crore as legal expenses in 3 years
New Delhi: The Delhi University spent
nearly Rs one crore as legal expenses for contesting various
High Court cases, an RTI application has revealed.
The details of accounts show that expenditures incurred
in the High Court increased in last three years and the DU
spent Rs 41.07 lakh during fiscal 2008-09 alone.
The figures came to light in an RTI application filed by
T K Roy in which he wanted to know the details of legal
expenses incurred by the University and in particular the
Biodiversity Parks Programme being run by Dr C R Babu, a
former Registrar of the University.
The University said the amount spent on legal purposes
for the Biodiversity program was only Rs 47,100.
The reply says during financial year 2006-07
Rs 25,92,294 was spent for contesting different High Court
cases while in 2007-08 Rs 37,08,311 was spent. In 2008-09, the
University had spent Rs 41,07,701 for the expenses.
The legal department of the University through a letter
has asked Roy to inspect the files as they are "old and
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Modi finds 'Little India' with Diwali lights, delicious food in Singapore - In Pics