DU students to cycle to Wagah Border for Indo-Pak peace rally
New Delhi: Fifty students of Delhi University will begin a cycling journey to Wagah Border on August 1 to celebrate Independence days of India and Pakistan.
"The `Indo-Pak peace cycle rally` from Delhi University to Wagah Border will be flagged off by journalist Kuldip Nayar on August 1," Delhi University students for peace (DUFSP) convener Praveen Kumar Singh said.
"The rally will be flagged off in the evening from Arts Faculty, North Campus of Delhi University. For thirteen days, the students will conduct peace campaigns at various stops in Punjab and Haryana," he said.
"The cyclists will arrive in Amritsar on August 13 and the rally will conclude with joint celebrations of India and Pakistan`s Independence Days at Wagah Border on August 14 and 15," Singh added.
The first Indo-Pak peace rally conducted by DUFSP last year was flagged off from Kanyakumari on June 1 by former Kerala Chief Minsiter V S Achutanandan. A group of 12 students covered a distance of 3,800 kms on bicycles and reached Punjab`s Wagah border on August 15.
Elaborating on the plans for the cycle rally, Singh said, "The Indian students will be joined by their Pakistani counterparts from Lahore University and Qaid-i-Azam University at Wagah on August 14.
After celebrating India`s Independence Day on August 15, the group, comprising both Pakistani and Indian students, will cycle to Lahore University."
"We have applied for security clearance and if granted we will also proceed to Qaid-i-Azam University in Islamabad on our bicycles," he added.
Delhi University Students for Peace is an initiative of Delhi University students joined by students from various other colleges and universities including Jamia Milia and JNU to take initiatives for strengthening peace among SAARC nations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie