DU VC bats for revolutionising higher education
New Delhi: Delhi University Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh on Thursday made a strong pitch for revolutionising higher education at the first-of-its-kind academic congress at the varsity, but his detractors called the two-day event an exercise of "fraud" to push for his radical reform agenda.
Singh and members of the Left-dominated Delhi University Teachers Association (DUTA) has almost always been at contrasting positions over the last few months, and even a large gathering of academics and researchers to discuss education could not make the two sides see eye to eye.
With the Leftist bodies of teachers and students sending out a call of protest against the Academic Congress, the day began with a notice from the Proctor warning the teachers against holding protests or disrupting the conference.
The notice said that the academic congress is purely an academic event that is open through paper presentation and is designed to encourage this and help improve the university for its students.
"You are required to desist from the illegal activity that will disrupt the academic functioning of the University and damage the reputation of the university by disrupting such a prestigious event.
"The university shall take strict action in case you go ahead with any disruptive course of action," it said.
The conference that was held amid tight security, meanwhile, saw tech czar Sam Pitroda and the Vice Chancellor himself, among others, calling for greater reform of the higher education model in the country and a "paradigm shift" in the way classrooms function.
DU`s own cluster of innovation centre became functional last year and the varsity has this year rolled out a four-year BTech in humanity course with exit options at the end of II and III year, laying ground for a four-year undergraduate programme that the university is planning to introduce from the next academic session.
"The university is an `idea` that needs to be developed in accordance with changing needs. An entire paradigm shift by redefining the way classrooms function and eradicating the burden of `scoring a degree` is the need of the hour so that our students don`t just study, but learn as well."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22