Duo smuggling memory cards held at IGI airport
New Delhi: Two persons, including an airport
employee, on Friday arrested at the IGI airport for allegedly
smuggling 8,000 memory cards worth over Rs 12 lakh, a senior
Customs official said.
Surinder Singh Arora, a resident of Tilak Nagar, arrived
here today on a Thai Airways flight (TG 323) from Hong Kong
via Bangkok along with 8,020 memory cards, the official said.
Arora deboarded the plane and went to the washroom of the
aerobridge and handed over the smuggled cards, packed in four
packets, to Kamaldeep Singh -- an employee of IT firm IDDS
posted at the airport.
"Singh concealed the packets in stocking and was to hand
over the goods to Arora at the domestic arrival, as there is a
way to reach the domestic arrival without crossing the
emigration and Customs offices," the official said.
Singh was arrested from the washroom, while Arora was
arrested when he was crossing the counters. Singh was to get
Rs 4,000 for clearing the goods.
In December last year, he helped in clearing 4,030 memory cards.
Both have confessed their involvement in smuggling and
the goods have been seized under the Customs Act, police said.
Similar cases were recorded in the past where people had
tried to smuggle cheap memory cards from Hong Kong.
Airport operator Delhi International Airport Limited said
that IDDS was appointed by it directly.
"Customs had requested DIAL to close a door in the
Customs area, which was done. At present, only Immigration
staff have access rights to this door strictly on the basis of
biometric access control cards. Immigration requires this
access due to their operational reasons," a DIAL spokesperson
said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in