DU`s decision on 4-year course should be deferred: Jaitley
New Delhi: Criticising Delhi University`s move to introduce four-year graduation course, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley has demanded that the decision be deferred and extensive consultations be held among academicians before the switch over.
In a letter to HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju, Jaitley has raised certain questions on the move, pointing that the university has not taken all aspects and opinions into consideration before making the decision.
The BJP leader said that though it is the discretion of the academic community to decide the duration of the courses, he is "constrained" to make some observations about this plan.
"Adequate and extensive discussion within the university has not been held while deciding to switch over to a four-year course. Even with regard to the content of the curriculum, the subject has not been adequately discussed in the various faculties and departments," Jaitley said.
He further maintained that the impact of a three-year course becoming a four-year one in terms of the socio-economic realities of India has not been factored.
"It has not been discussed why the switch over to the four-year course is for one university and does not apply to other universities," Jaitley said.
The BJP leader suggested that introduction of four-year graduation course be deferred for some time and extensive discussion be held amongst the academic community before the decision is implemented.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview