DU`s decision on 4-year course should be deferred: Jaitley
New Delhi: Criticising Delhi University`s move to introduce four-year graduation course, Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley has demanded that the decision be deferred and extensive consultations be held among academicians before the switch over.
In a letter to HRD Minister M M Pallam Raju, Jaitley has raised certain questions on the move, pointing that the university has not taken all aspects and opinions into consideration before making the decision.
The BJP leader said that though it is the discretion of the academic community to decide the duration of the courses, he is "constrained" to make some observations about this plan.
"Adequate and extensive discussion within the university has not been held while deciding to switch over to a four-year course. Even with regard to the content of the curriculum, the subject has not been adequately discussed in the various faculties and departments," Jaitley said.
He further maintained that the impact of a three-year course becoming a four-year one in terms of the socio-economic realities of India has not been factored.
"It has not been discussed why the switch over to the four-year course is for one university and does not apply to other universities," Jaitley said.
The BJP leader suggested that introduction of four-year graduation course be deferred for some time and extensive discussion be held amongst the academic community before the decision is implemented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened