DUTA`s next step: Indefinite relay hunger strike
New Delhi: Delhi University`s teachers body on Saturday upped the ante against the Vice Chancellor, deciding to start an indefinite relay hunger strike to protest against the "sidelining" of teachers in crucial matters of policy making.
At a well-attended General Body meeting of the Delhi University Teachers Association, held at Ramjas college today, the teachers condemned Vice Chancellor Dinesh Singh`s terming of the DUTA as "farcical", and agreed to "intensify the stir" against the varsity administration.
A resolution adopted by the GBM criticised the Vice Chancellor for his refusal to come to the negotiating table with the teachers.
"This General Body censures the Vice Chancellor for his contemptuous disregard of the Statutory Bodies of the University - the AC and the EC - and destroying the entire academic fabric by unilaterally announcing new courses and academic programmes through media and running the University as his personal fiefdom," said the strongly worded resolution.
The teachers will launch a relay hunger strike beginning October 10 to protest against the way decisions were being made in the varsity.
"Teachers are increasingly being thrown out of decision making and the VC has shown utter disregard to the teachers` democratic body," said DUTA Executive member Abha Dev Habib.
"We will hold a relay hunger strike in a way that does not disrupt the classes," she said.
The resolution also spoke of issues like the biometric attendance system for teachers.
The GBM also criticised the "pressurising" tactics used by the administration against the teachers body.
The venue of the GBM also became an issue recently when first SRCC and then Ramjas College denied permission to host it. However, the latter finally allowed the DUTA to go ahead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves